WHAT IS GLOBAL WARMING?
Global warming is the
earth is naturally warmed by rays from the sun.
atmosphere's made up of layers of gases -
They're mostly natural and make up a kind
lets some of the rays back out of the atmosphere,
So some think global warming is good.
most scientists think if extra greenhouse gases are made,
Greenhouse gases are made out of:
They are all natural gases,
Extra greenhouse gases are produced through activities
These activities include:
What's the 'ozone layer' got to do with it?
The ozone layer is another important part of the atmosphere.
It's made up of ozone (a type of oxygen).
Some greenhouse gasses damage it -
If the Earth gets hotter,
-Water expands when it's heated so sea levels could rise.
-Sea levels could also rise due to the melting of the glaciers and sea ice.
-Animals like polar bears - which live on the ice - might die out.
-There could be more floods, especially near the coast and rivers.
-Places that usually get lots of rain and snowfall might get hotter and drier.
-Lakes and rivers could dry up.
-There would be more droughts, making it harder to grow crops.
-Less water would be available.
-Some plants and animals might become extinct
-Hurricanes, tornadoes and other storms which are
There are ways you can help cut greenhouse gases
They are simple things, but can make a difference if everyone does them!
· Recycle glass bottles, jars, newspapers and magazines and tin
· Re-use plastic shopping bags and envelopes, don't get new ones.
· Persuade your mum or dad (or whoever does the gardening)
· Put a brick in a plastic bag into your toilet cistern,
· Use paper on both sides.
· Try to buy products that don't use much packaging.
· Give unwanted gifts and clothes to a charity shop.
· Only fill the kettle up with the amount of water you need to boil that time.
· Don't leave the TV or video on standby.
· If you get lift to school in a car, take your mates along for the ride.
· Ask whoever does your washing to use the machine at 40 degrees
· Switch lights off when you're not in the room.
· Get a clockwork mobile phone recharger
· Have showers instead of baths.